In 2012, we expanded our Mega March walk event to feature two locations, and began to move out of the city (previously our only location was in Hart Plaza in downtown Detroit) and into the open, nature centered Metroparks. In 2012 our additional walk event was at Kensington Metropark and last year (2013) we moved to Stony Creek Metropark as well.
Both of these locations were a hit, and this year we will be back at both on October 5. We hope to see you there!
Keep these tips in mind to help you have the most enjoyable experience possible:
– Hundreds of dogs will be present at the walk, of all shapes and sizes! If you choose to bring your furry companion to walk with, make sure they are comfortable around many other dogs and people. Always keep them on a non-retractable leash and don’t let them go up to strange dogs without asking – you never know if another dog will be friendly.
– Get festive! If your dog is comfortable with it – feel free to dress them up! We love seeing the different costumes and outfits dogs are wearing at the event. If you want some decoration but don’t want to go over the top, grab a Mega March bandana at our event sales tent! (or wear yours from previous years!)
– Make sure you and your dog stay hydrated! Bring a water bottle for yourself, or get a beverage at our concession tent. We will have water stations set up for our doggy friends at multiple points throughout the walk, so be sure to take advantage.
– Visit our sponsors! Many of our sponsors will have tents set up at the event, so make sure you pay them a visit. Most will have freebies or treats for your dog and you and you can learn about their great products and services!
– Make sure you clean up after your dog! No one wants to step in dog poop. We will have poop bags at the registration tent, and our “Pooch Patrol” who will be in lime green vests should have extra poop bags on hand. Don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t have one – we just want the poop picked up!
We can’t wait to see everyone at the events – join us from 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday at Kensington Metropark or Stony Creek Metropark. See our website for more information. Happy marching!